spva logo

Veterans-UK Logo

Welcome to the Veterans UK website - Free Veterans Helpline 0800 169 22 77

Help, Advice & Complaints


Contact Us

If you think something is wrong

In all instances speak to someone about this as soon as possible by calling our Freephone (UK only) Veterans Help Line: 0800 169 22 77.  If calling from abroad the number is: + 44 1253 866 043.

Stage 1

Contact your caseworker by calling the Helpline number above.  Your caseworker is the subject matter expert relating to your claim (or appeal.)  If you remain dissatisfied after speaking to your caseworker, you may wish to speak to their manager to try to resolve matters.

Stage 2

If after speaking to your caseworker or their manager you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to speak to a member of the SPVA Customer Services Team who can investigate matters on your behalf.  To speak to a Customer Services Manager, you should ring our Veterans Help Line on the number(s) provided.  Alternatively, you may wish to write to the Manager of the Customer Services Team at: Room 6303, SPVA, Norcross, Blackpool, Lancashire. FY5 3WP.

Stage 3

If, following investigation and response by a Customer Service Manager you are still dissatisfied, you may wish to put your complaint in writing, either to the Director Veterans Services, who is based at Norcross at: Room 6406, SPVA, Norcross, Blackpool, Lancashire. FY5 3WP, or to the Chief Executive, at the same address in the first instance.

In all cases, we will acknowledge correspondence from you within 5 working days and, for all complaints, respond either in full or with an informative update within 20 working days.

When you telephone you will be asked to provide your name and national insurance number, and may be asked for your date of birth or other memorable data.  If you write to us, you should always include your name and national insurance number, do not however, include personal or sensitive data, such as that relating to your bank account details, etc.

Independent Complaints Panel (ICP)

If, having followed all stages of our complaints procedure outlined above, you do not feel your complaint has been handled correctly, you can ask the ICP to look at your case.  The panel can only look at whether a complaint has been thoroughly and properly investigated, that a fair investigation was carried out, and that a full and accurate reply was given. 

They cannot consider the substance of a complaint where procedures are already in place to formally review and investigate the issue, e.g. by making an appeal.

If you would like the panel to review your case, you should write to:

The Secretary
Independent Complaints Panel
Tomlinson House

Or you can call the Veterans Free phone Veterans Helpline number and ask to be put through to the Secretary.

The Parliamentary Ombudsman

If, after following the complaints procedures described, you feel that we have not appropriately addressed any mistakes we have made, the Ombudsman may agree to investigate the matter.  You will need to contact a Member of Parliament who can refer your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Independent bodies that can offer help to you

You may want to involve and ex-Service organisation e.g. SSAFA Forces Help or the Royal British Legion.  You will need to give your permission in writing so that SPVA is able to release details of your case to any 3rd party.

You can also seek help from War Pensions Committees (WPC)

WPCs are independent of SPVA and many of their members are ex-Servicemen and women.  The Committees can assist individuals with a problem or complaint they have regarding war pensions or SPVA.  You should contact the Clerk for the Committee in your local area in the first instance, and you can do this by calling our Free phone Veterans Helpline number.

Top of page