The Forum meets bi-annually and is chaired by the Minister for Veterans. The aim of the Veterans Forum is to improve co-ordination between Government and those representing the country's veterans, with the objective of building a partnership to address jointly the way in which closer co-operation can deliver improved support for veterans. In particular, the aims of the Forum are:
- To enable veterans organisations to represent their concerns to the Minister.
- To provide veterans representatives with an opportunity to influence Government policy as it affects veterans.
- To provide the Minister for Veterans with the opportunity to explain the Government's current support and future plans for veterans.
- To improve the coherence and co-ordination of the work of Government and veterans organisations in support of veterans; and to ensure that it is effectively understood by them.
- To ensure that the contribution of ex-Service personnel is appropriately recognised at the national and the individual level within the country.
- To contribute to setting the Initiative's priorities for action, oversee the revised working arrangements and set the agenda for the Veterans Task Force.
The membership of the Forum consists of the Executive Committee of the Confederation Of British Service and ex-Service Organisations and officials from the following Government Departments with an interest in veterans affairs:
The Royal British Legion
Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association - Forces Help
King George's Fund for Sailors
The Army Benevolent Fund
The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund
The Royal Naval Association
British Limbless Ex-Service Men's Association
Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society
Royal Air Forces Association
Forces' Pension Society
War Widows' Association of Great Britain
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Department for Constitutional Affairs
Department of Work and Pensions
Department for Education and Skills
Department of Health
Her Majesty's Treasury
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
The Devolved Administrations of Scotland and Wales
Northern Ireland Office
Local Government Association
For minutes of the Veterans forums, please click below;