Annex A. Progress made by Working Groups.
Annex B. Comments by Chairman COBSEO.
Annex C. DCMS Speaking Notes.
Annex D. Update from Scottish Executive.
Annex E. Update from National Assembly for Wales.
Annex F. Update from Northern Ireland Executive.
Annex A To
Dated 18 March 2003
PROGRESS MADE BY WORKING GROUPS
WG1 - Developing a partnership between Government and the Veterans Organisations
Pursuing priority veteran's issues on a bilateral basis:
|Mental Health issues||DoH|
|Homelessness||ODPM & Project Compass|
|Disregard||DWP/LA's/HMT (covered later)|
WG2 - Recognising the Special Status of Veterans - Communications
- COI Public Perception Research
- Communication Strategy
- Measuring success at reaching the target audience.
WG3 - Investigate the merits and implementation issues for a Veterans Identity Card
- Input to the Home Office's ID Card scheme consultation process.
WG4 - Developing National Curriculum work material on Veterans achievements for the new Key Stages 1-4 scheme for Citizenship
- Web based pages to promote resources on offer for citizenship learning about Veterans. Contributions by CWGC,IWM, PRO, NAM, TRBL, RAFA, RNA and MOD
- Leaflet produced by DGCC for BETTS Show 2003
WG5 - Improving Recognition and Celebration of the Services' Contribution to International Security.
- National Memorial Arboretum
- National Armed Forces Memorial
- VC & GC Website
WG6 - Using the EBPF to Commission Research for a Veterans' Need Map.
- Research contract awarded to KCL
- Interim Report delivered October 2002
- Final Report delivered end March 2003
WG7 - Developing MOD Resettlement arrangements to address better the needs of the more vulnerable.
- Career Transition Partnership
- Employment/Job Centre Plus.
WG8 - Pensions and Compensation Review.
Bi-lateral meetings are the best way of achieving progress given the rather different interests of individual organisations.
WG9 - Improving long term care provided to Veterans.
Providing up to date guidance and net working opportunity.
- National Care Standards
- Care Direct